Loss of cold water during shower (new Rinnai unit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Squeak

Reaction score
Have a new Rinnai RUR98i installed, and everything was seeming to work fine, except for the check valve the plumber installed around where the dedicated recirculation line comes in. Because he put in a swing valve, any time we had a cold-water fixture with a quick turnoff close, it would cause the valve to bang pretty loud (right under my bedroom).

While this valve was in place, showers were great -- no pressure issues, no loss of cold water, etc.

Plumber came out today and swapped the valve to a spring valve to make it quiet, and that fixed that problem. However it introduced a new one: we seem to periodically lose cold water pressure in the shower (so make the shower REALLY hot). Happened to me once, and I was suspicious, and then happened to my wife later and she was not too happy about it.

Tank is set to 130 degrees (wife likes really hot showers, but not 130 degree hot, so no colder water was scolding).

That was the only water fixture running at the time.

Obviously, it appears the switch in check valves caused the issue, but I am not sure how it would impact the pressure on the cold water side. Never saw a loss in hot water, and the Rinnai unit didn't seem to have any issues keeping up making hot water.

Thoughts?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen simular things happen when check valves were not located properly and there is a recirulating system. In front of the pump, hot water can be pushed into the cold water.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks