Loose Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
Hello all. My Toilet has a slight wobble to it. I've tightened the nuts but it did not help. I don't want to tighten them any more for fear of stripping them or breaking the base.

Any advise?

Do I need to remove it and replace the flange and wax ring?

Any negatives to just leaving it alone?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Reach4

Reaction score
You do want to lift the toilet. When you wobble a toilet on wax, you break the seal.

So pull the toilet. Use shims to prevent future wobbling. You may be able to use a waxless seal if the situation is right (enough space, and not some irregular thing to adjust to). Door and window composite shims are good. They sell some for the purpose which may be OK. Cut to fit.

If you use wax, try fit the toilet, and get the shims in place. Then lift the toilet, apply the wax, and drop the toilet on the wax. That way the wax only squishes down, and does not get pulled apart.

When done, apply caulk. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/polyseamseal-and-current-product-names.64887/ especially #11.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise!!!

How do I know if a waxless seal will work and what is the benefit of using one?

Reach4

Reaction score
How do I know if a waxless seal will work and what is the benefit of using one?
Use the search box above for waxless to see other discussions.

I the top of the flange is more than 1/4 inch above the floor you might have a problem in that regard. If too far down, there could be other considerations.

Advantage is that you can put the toilet on and off and on. You can insert shims after the toilet is dropped. I suspect that the pro can handle wax better, because he will drop the toilet once. The DIY might fumble around.

And if the flange is broken, a repair flange might fix you right up. Post a photo in that case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks