Looking into the best way to start as Licensed Plumber...

Users who are viewing this thread

J.Jones

Reaction score
Hey there.
I am thrilled to have found this site. From the few posts I've had time to look at it is evident this is the right place for me.

I am looking into a new career path, just trying to get a feel of how to get going and what I am able to put my full effort into at this time in my life.

I have been in the "water/pump/well/treatment/ and waste for over 10 years. I have just started a small business, doing backflow testing. It's taking sometime for the jobs to come in BUT, I know sooner than later they will.

I have been doing "unlicensed DYI plumbing" for many years... I am curious what you all think the best way to start out, getting my Plumbing license, I've done some research but it's always better to hear from experience, in my book anyway.

I love a good challenge, plumbing has been one of those natural DIY jobs, that just seem to come easy to me... So there is passion backing up my curiosity.

ANYWHO, where's the best place to start? I will be working full time UNTIL my BFPI business gets going... Is it feasible to take on an apprenticeship while doing so?
Are there any ways for me to use my prior experience, other licenses and abilities to move faster? Don't get me wrong, I am willing to do it all the way... Nevertheless, I'm curious what the best road to travel is from here.

Thanks,
JJ

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only proper answer is to ask the question at YOUR licensing board. Usually you have to have a certain number of "proven hours" working in the trade, proof would normally be a couple of years of pay stubs or w-2 forms from a registered contractor. They seldom accept a, "But I have been doing it for 5 years now", as proof.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's tough. Most boards are gonna make you sit and test at the very least and to do that you are going to have to have verifyable OTJ hours

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here, they want "cerifiable" hours, or rather years, in the trade. For that they require time cards, W2's from licensed contractors, union card, or other documents to prove you were actually working in the trades for the required time period.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Even here in California, which has been notoriously easy to get a license, they are pretty stiff now about the job experience. You will have a hard time passing off your "non licensed handyman" hours, unless you were drawing a paycheck from someone. The pump and well experience, and the backflow, are relevant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks