Long Shank Ballcock

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by bholty, Jul 22, 2005.

1. bholty

bholty New Member

Hope you can help. I have an old toilet that I would guess is about 65 years old. The only id I can find on it says Integera. It is a single mold where the bowl and tank are one. I need to replace the ballcock but am unable to find a suitable replacement. The existing ballcock says Sherwood Detroit. The unique thing about it, is that the shank on the ballcock is 3 1/2 inches long. The longest shank I could find anywhere is a 2 3/4 inch. I have heard that at one time they made a shank extension, but again, no luck being able to track one down. I talked to many a local plumber and plumbing supply store here in Iowa and everyone says I'll have to replace the whole toilet. The toilet is original with the house (1940) and I would like to keep it because it works great and goes great with the era of the home.
    Any ideas or suggestions where I can find a long shank ballcock or a shank extension? Thanks in adavance for your help.

-Bholty

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    toilet

What is there about that toilet that requires the longer shank?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. bholty

bholty New Member

The porcelain on the tank is very thick. When I first tried a standard stock ballcock, the shank was not even visible on the bottom of the tank. With a 2 3/4 inch shank, there is barely enough thread to even have the nut fit tight to fasten the ballcock to the bowl.
    I would guess the procelain is 2 inches thick.

Thanks,
    Bholty