Location of hot & cold water pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Kara Janish, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Kara Janish

Kara Janish New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I recently purchased a patio home with in floor heat. I would like to stop using the in floor heat and rely upon the forced air furnace instead. However, my hot & cold water pipes are not located in the attic and I fear I might consequently freeze them if I turn off the in floor heat. Are these pipes typically embedded in the concrete slab or are they buried below it? Should either location concern me, should I go without in floor heat? FYI, I live in MN where our daytime high is often below 0.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!
  2. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

Jun 15, 2007
    If you have some type of heat, your slab can't freeze.

Plumbing is generally not in the slab but a few inches under.

Why don't you want the radiant heat? Seems like it would make sense to heat from the ground up.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement