Location of Freeze proof sand Point

Users who are viewing this thread

ton

Reaction score
I will be installing my first sand point in the next 3 weeks. The objective here is to have water year round. The cottage and crawl space will be heated. The crawl space will have a perimeter insulated wall sprayed foam with heat maintained at 42 deg. I am struggling of where to place the sand point. I do have water all over the property. Please refer to the attached picture of where I would like to place it. Options are;

1.Inside of crawl space, driving the point from inside of the building. I do have the height required to do this. (Crawl space is only 2ft high). The point than would be in warm area year round. Well point can be accessed but it would be extremely difficult to pull out. Its there for ever.

2. Outside of the building 4 ft down (below frost line) with insulated pipe entering the building. Styrofoam would be place over well head and back filled with sand. Check valve exposed installed mid way point of suction line so it could be serviced.

3. Out side of building 1 ft over ground level. An insulated perimeter shelter (with removable top) made part of the heated crawl space would surround the well head. Sand point could be accessed etc. With this option I am concerned that it may still freeze. We could easily get -30f in Jan and Feb.

Thank you. Recommendations are appreciated.

Attachments

• well hole diagra&#10.jpg
    well hole diagra&#10.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I may be confused, because a sand point is driven into the ground to draw water from the water table. That being so, HOW is it going to freeze? The piping from the sand point, however can freeze, but that has more to do with how IT is installed, not where the sandpoint is.

ton

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. It will be driven down to draw water. Your right the piping from the sand point will contain water at all time therefore if its about the frost level it will freeze. The ground under the building should not. How would you install it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks