Lighting Layout for Kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

TechDiver

Reaction score
I am looking to install some slim LED disc lights that look similar to recessed lighting without installing cans and creating uninsulated holes in the attic. These lights are 120 degrees and 900 lumens output. Will 120 degrees be too wide for an 8 ft ceiling? I will be installing a permanent island and will probably go with pendants for it. There is no separation from the dining room that begins right after the island. I am going with Armacost LED strip lighting that will probably be angled back toward the backsplash for under cabinet lighting. I am looking for suggestions on layout and type of lighting. Thanks.

Attachments

• Kitchen Layout.jpg
    Kitchen Layout.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:

TechDiver

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't sure where to go for advice. This forum probably doesn't deal with lighting layouts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"lighting layouts" are so specific to the individual situation, the you really need someone with access to your space or the blueprints to make any logical suggestions.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Downlighting at the ceiling level is a pretty crummy way to light up a workspace like a kitchen, since it adds glare & shadows to the work spaces. For counters under wall mounted cabinets, under-cabinet task lighting mounted under the front edge of the cabinet, directed both downward and against the wall has far greater efficacy than anything you can mount at the ceiling. That puts the down-light from the under cabinet fixtures closer to the work, and the cast-back light from the wall fills in the hand shadows.

If there is space between the tops of the cabinets and the ceiling, up-lighting on the front edge of the cabinet tops using the ceiling as a diffuser can deliver high ambient light levels to the room without adding glare or shadows, and can counteract the glare factor of any ceiling mounted downlighting.

You may need to use some down lighting centered on the island to make that a useful work space, which is fine, as long as there is sufficient ambient lighting from other sources to fill in the shadowing and cut the glare. Some kitchen ceiling down lighting could be improved (=higher efficacy at any light level) with cove or valence lighting mounted on other walls for no-glare ambient fill.

There is quite a bit of discussion of these issues online a the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's Lighting Research Center, if you're willing to surf the site a bit. I spent quite a bit of time on that site when making lighting decisions on a major kitchen renovation at my house about 8-9 years ago. Of course they've changed it up considerably since then, but you can start at their kitchen lighting page.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks