Light Switch Behind Plumbing

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by NewTrinidad, Dec 29, 2008.

1. NewTrinidad

NewTrinidad New Member

I am having the basement apartment of my 1920 row house renovated and am concerned with the way the contractor has framed the bath. Is it OK to have a light switch the opposite side of a shower faucet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

There is no problem with this installation
  3. Old Coot

Old Coot New Member

I'd be much more concerned about the excessive number of copper plumbing fittings and their solder joints.
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I do not like the way the cables entering the metal wall box appear not to have been secured to it but that is not the plumber's problem.
  5. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

It looks like the kind of box with integral clamps.

(google image search...)

like this:

Attached Files:

• box.jpg
      box.jpg
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
  6. rgsgww

rgsgww New Member

That conduit looks pretty bad.
  7. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

As long as you use drywall/backer board/tile....no problem.:rolleyes:

And wipe those joints next time.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

With a rental unit being renovated, I wonder if the old electrical work is being reviewed. That kind of BX cable often goes with 2-wire outlets.
  9. frenchie

I don't think that's conduit. Looks like old cloth-wrapped, to me. Around here, I see this mix a lot - places built in the 30's-50's, remodelled in the 60's-70's, look exactly like that picture.

I'll hazard a guess: that's a kitchen countertop outlet on the other side. Power's coming in from that cloth-wrapped wire on the left, and the BX is tapping in to run another kitchen outlet. So the kitchen looks modern-code-compliant, plenty of outlets, but there's actually only 1 circuit. You can't run a kettle at the same time as a toaster, even if they're on opposite countertops.

That's what I see a lot, anyways...

Your shower control should be screwed into a solid piece of wood, attached solidly to the studs on either side. So should that electrical box...

There's some debate about that, I just discovered in the plumbing forum.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

It does not appear that a "plumber" installed the faucet, otherwise he would not have used the female adapters on the faucet. He would have soldered the tubing directly into the shower body, thus eliminating four potential leak points.
  11. NewTrinidad

NewTrinidad New Member

Thanks for everyone's reply! Your comments have been very helpful.

One wire is cloth and the other is conduit. The electrical box is a light switch to the ceiling light. which is just a hallway between the bedroom and the living room. The basement apartment has not been occupied in decades and there are very few outlets so I will need to run new circuits, ESP the kitchen as one poster pointed out.

Thanks again!
  12. frenchie

So I guessed wrong, huh? :D

As long as you're going to be running new circuits, and have all the walls open, get the electrician to replace that old cloth-wrapped. It's pretty rare that the rubber insulation isn't brittle and/or damaged by now. Nothing worse than finishing the job, walls all closed up, and suddenly a circuit conks out...