Light Dimmer ?????

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by edlentz, Aug 18, 2008.

1. edlentz

edlentz New Member

I just installed a new 3 way dimmer and it works great. The question is: if the lights are at 50% do I use 50% less energy? My wattage is at full power 450 watts. Given that the dimmer gets warm (just) does that mean that the power used is the same?

Just wondering
  2. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Lights Dimmed...Saves Electricity.....Makes incandescent bulbs last longer
    10%..................10%........................2 times longer
    25%..................20%........................4 times longer
    50%..................40%........................20 times longer
    75%..................60%........................> 20 times longer
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

With most modern dimmers, the act of reducing the voltage to the lights isn't perfect, but as shown in the previous post, it's fairly linear...you do lose some in the process you'll notice as heat.
  4. edlentz

edlentz New Member

I am glad to see that table. I wasn't sure if the heat was the rest of the power disipated. Thanks alot for the replies