Leaky (new) Flapper valve

Users who are viewing this thread

neustkg

Reaction score
I've had some problems with my upstairs toilet. I noticed the tank would fill, but then over say 30 minutes or maybe less, it would drain, but I also noticed the fill valve never started to fill the tank. So initially, I figured flapper valve was bad. So I replaced it with a new one. That didn't solve the problem, so I thought I would need to replace the tank gasket. Got down to inspect the space between the tank and the lower toilet and noticed water dripping from the tank bolt. I tried tightening it, but was able to pull the corroded bolt out completely. So I went to home depot. I figured since I would need to remove the tank, I would replace the flush valve as well as the gasket. Home Depot sold the kit with bolts, flush valve and another flapper valve and gasket.

After 3 attempts, finally got the gasket and tank installed correctly so the tank was not leaking around the gasket. Filled the tank and watched the level of water. It slowly trickled out through both new flapper valves (I noticed trickling in the bowl even with the water off). Again, the fill valve did not turn on the continue to fill the tank, so I bought a new fill valve to install this weekend and also a new flush lever (I should have gutted the entire tank contents when I pulled it off). So I have new flapper valves AND a new flush valve with a new drain opening.

Is there anything, like silicone lubricant that you can put on the rubber flapper valve where it touches the opening of the flush valve? I've never really had the best of luck with flapper valves. They always seem to trickle a little.

neustkg

Reaction score
Thought I would give an update on my toilet problem. I had replaced the flapper (with a pretty standard Korky), then replaced the flush valve (not sure of the brand, but it came with a clear plastic flapper from Home Depot) along with the tank gasket and I noticed water would slowly seep out under the flapper (with both different brand new flappers). One thing I noticed was that the water would not refill as the level went down, so I figured I would need to replace the fill valve.

So went out and bought another Fluidmaster fill valve and also decided to buy another flush lever, since mine was very loose, even though the nut was tight. After these replacements and adjusting the water level in the tank, I noticed the tank filled correctly, but was still leaking with the new Korky flapper. Reinstalled the flapper that came with the flush valve and the leaking stopped. I flushed a few times and walked away and the water level never dropped (never noticed the water running in the tank). So looks like the toilet is fixed. Even replaced the lid. So toilet works and almost looks new now.

Lesson learned: I probably should have gutted everything inside the tank when I knew I needed to remove the tank to replace the gasket. Would have saved me a lot of time troubleshooting the issue. I wanted to do that when I bought the flush valve at Home Depot, but the sales guy said I probably should just start with just the flush valve.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

neustkg

Reaction score
you did a lot more work that I would have to fix the toilet.

Still cheaper than a new toilet, not including labor. I could still use the toilet the whole time, just that the water slowly leaked through flapper and the tank did not refill. Just had to jiggle the handle until the fill valve added enough water to flush. Now with it fixed, I don't need to worry about that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks