Leaky kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

glitzygirlysc

Reaction score
My kitchen sink piping underneath the sink is leaking and I have figured out that the pvc pipe that is supposed to fit onto the metal nut on the bottom of the sink piece has come undone. The problem is that the piece of pipe that is there has no threads on it that I can see for the metal nut to screw onto. I also found a broken washer. I am very confused as to how this could have been working for four years. I am attaching pictures of the plumbing and the broken washer. Can someone please tell me how to repair this craziness? Thanks so much for any advice.

Attachments

• sink pipes.jpg
    sink pipes.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 401
  • broken washer.jpg
    broken washer.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 382

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Kitchen Sink Leak

What you have is a flanged tail piece that goes onto the bottom of your sink. What you have to do is remove the tail piece; take that nut loose that is on the bottom of it, check to make sure the flange is intact, if not you will have to get a new one (big box carries them) take that nut off the bottom of the sink, slide it on the bottom of the tail piece (non flange end) get a new flat 1 1/2in. washer (big box), put it back together and snug it up, if it leaks snug it more, don't get carried away, you are working with plastic. Luck. :)

glitzygirlysc

Reaction score
Thanks so much! One last dumb question... is the flanged end the part closest to the sink or the end closest to the nut? Thanks again. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

The flanged end goes against the sink, but the only way it could have come apart would be if the slip nut is cracked. That washer is also the wrong one for the connection at that point.

glitzygirlysc

Reaction score
Thanks to all!

I got it all fixed up, all by myself! Thanks to all those who replied. You saved me some cash! Thanks again! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks