Leaky Galvinized Kitchen Drain / replace and skip catch basin?

Users who are viewing this thread

nhanson

Reaction score
I need to replace a corroded piece of galvinized drain coming from my kitchen sink and dishwasher. Currently, the drain goes out to a catch basin outside my house, then comes back in at a higher height (what doesn't sink floats right?). When I replace this, should I just replace the one horz pipe thats corroded? or take this opportunity to start cleaning things up a bit? Current village code says I can fill in the catch basin with sand and just tie into the stack. Although... I have never had a backup from kitchen scraps on Christmas morning (which always seemed to happen to my dad when I was little).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Unless you have an unusual code situation, the drain ALWAYS goes into the catch basin at a higher point than it goes out, which is the reverse of the way you describe it. If it was installed as you describe it, that is probably why it corroded. I would eliminate the basin, and if you have never had to clean it out, then it probably was not working anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks