Leaky diverter valve reccesed 3"

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mikept, Jul 31, 2009.

1. mikept

mikept DIY Senior Member

I have a three seperate handle shower. The middle valve, the diverter isnt completely diverting to the shower so alot of water comes out of the tub at the same time.

I removed the philips screw and pulled the handle off which was stuck on pretty good. The stem slightly protrudes out a silver tube and extends back about 3" into it. About 1.5" of the stem/tube protrudes from the wall and the other half is in it. Around the stem theres what looks like a a six sided nut and behind that a slightly larger round nut the with two flattened sides. The moen cartridge puller tool i saw is no where near being 3" deep, though i could probably make the part to turn that second nut if neccesary out of a piece of pipe.

Which piece am i supposed to turn the first nut the second or the silver tube? Are there any pieces im supposed to keep from turning?

Edit: Im not sure what brand or model the valve is.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Picture please......but almost surely, no matter what the brand, that silver sleeve has to come off. It almost surely just unscrews. You could use a strap wrench to protect the chrome, but frankly it should be just hand tight...try that.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tube

You probably have a PricePfister shower valve. Find a 1/2" socket that exactly fits inside the tube, (mine is a 15/16" one). Slide it into the tube, and grab the outside of the tube with a pair of pliers. Squeeze the tube against the socket and unscrew it. Then you can unscrew the large hex with a bigger socket, or a faucet stem socket. However, if that is the valve you have, I would not "repair" it, I would do the "simple" upgrade to the modern "lifetime" stems, which some knowledgeable plumbers know how to do without any modifications to the tile or wall.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009