Leaking water softener bypass

Users who are viewing this thread

buckcat0910

Reaction score
I installed a new water softener that has it's own bypass, but previous owners had a softener at some point and the soldered on an external bypass. I made all th connections and pushed it into service and have a leak out of the plunger when I throw it into service. Can some recommend a repair? I can cut it out somewhat easily if I need to since I has to use sharkbite conneftors since the inlet and outlets are reversed.

Picture attached is the valve. It is fine when it is in bypass, but when I open it for service it leaks out of the left side.

Attachments

• 20190414_105623.jpg
    20190414_105623.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 263

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would not bother spending any time on it. 3 ball valves which you can buy anywhere would accomplish the same thing.

buckcat0910

Reaction score
I would not bother spending any time on it. 3 ball valves which you can buy anywhere would accomplish the same thing.
The softener has it's own bypass so I don't really need to do a 3 valve bypass. My set up essentially has 2 bypasses because this was already there and my softener didn't have a way to not use their bypass. Just trying to figure out if I can be fixed or if I should just cut it completely out and make my connection higher up on the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks