Leaking toilet - with new flapper and flush valve

Users who are viewing this thread

AnotherIsaac

Reaction score
I got a Kohler two piece (Highline?) toilet that I recently noticed was running. I replaced the flapper (Korky). I replaced the whole flush valve assembly (I thought I ordered a Kohler OEM part but I got Flushmaster). The second replacement included a new washer and new gaskets both below the tank and inside the tank below/around the flush valve. Yet somehow the toilet is still leaking. I turned off the water and left it overnight; the tank was dry the next day so the leak is below the flapper level.

How do I stop the leaking?
Thanks,

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Is the flapper chain loose (not holding flapper up a little)? When you say you replaced the whole flush valve - did you remove the tank from the bowl and replace everything - or did you just the flapper itself from inside the tank?

AnotherIsaac

Reaction score
Yes, there is slack in the chain at rest. Yes, I replaced everything. I removed the tank from the bowl. I removed the flush valve and overflow tube (one piece). I removed the gasket below the tank, along with the washer and nut. I removed and replaced the gasket that fits around the base of the flush valve inside the tank.

Given that the tank was dry after leaving it over night, the leak has to be happening from lower than the flapper seat. It's leaking from around the base of the flush valve. I'm going to remove the flush valve again. I am then going to use emery cloth to ensure the porcelain around the flush valve is smooth. I will then reseat everything and use some silicone (caulking or gasket maker) to improve the seal around the gasket while putting everything together. Here's hoping that does the trick.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Hmm, if it was leaking from the base, wouldn't the bathroom floor be wet? It must be leaking between the flapper and the flush valve seat. IMO.
Are you saying the tank was completely dry (not even a puddle in it)?

Reach4

Reaction score
toilets-00.jpg
If the water leaks along the bottom of the tank under the flush valve, it can still be captured by the toilet.

AnotherIsaac

Reaction score
Yes, the tank was completely dry. Like, completely. No puddle. The porcelain wasn't damp. It was dry.

There are 5 holes in the bottom of the tank. There is the supply line, the flush valve and 3 (often 2 in many tanks) bolt holes to secure the tank to the base. A leak around all but the flush valve would result in a puddle on the floor. Water leaking into the flush hole can either land inside the base or on the floor, depending whether it drips inside or outside of the gasket between the tank and bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks