Leaking holding tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

jjfro9

Reaction score
I have a leak in my holding tank, at my cottage I purchased last year, and I suspect it is from the cost iron pipe entering into it from the house (or the vent pipe that is right above it). I put a camera down the tank and the tank still looks in good shape, but I can see that is pretty wet in the area by the pipes, even from not being used in quite some time. I can also hear it dripping water after a good rain. So, I decided to dig it out in hopes to replace the pipe, but found out that whomever installed the tank many years ago poured concrete around the pipes. They did this around the tank riser as well. My question is: Is there anyway to seal around this pipe now knowing that there is concrete poured around this pipe? Is this typically how they sealed pipes years ago? Any suggestions would be helpful as I am afraid to break apart the concrete and take the chance of cracking the concrete holding tank itself. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you talking about a septic tank? Hydraulic cement would probably have been used.

jjfro9

Reaction score
It is a holding tank. I guess it is a type of septic tank, but it holds all the water and waste from the cottage until it is pumped out. Whatever kind of cement they used, they just poured it over the pipes and it looks like a big pile of cement. Any way to reseal any of it?

Last edited:

jjfro9

Reaction score
Yes, the leak is coming in from under ground as the holding tank is underground. After a good rain I end up with standing water in my yard, so the water is finding its way into my holding tank. The pipes are underground so it is coming in from the pipes entering the holding tank, either the vent pipe or the main pipe from the house. I can hear the water dripping in when I open the cover to the tank. I put a camera in the tank and can see most of what is going on stated in my first post.
I am just asking what the best method is to seal, or replace, the cast iron pipe entering my holding tank as it is sorrounded with concrete. There might be a crack in the cast iron pipe somewhere with water leaking that way, but I can't replace any part of it since the pipe is imbedded in the concrete.

JRC3

Reaction score
Yep hydraulic cement. It's sets up super fast and you only have a couple minutes to work it after mixing.

Do you have any pics? Also an effluent filter is always a good thing especially if you think it is getting flooded by rain water. If you have a drainfield, too much water can wash scum and other solids into it clogging it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks