Leaking Bathroom p trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Nickp

Reaction score
Hello all my first post, I have just changed out our bathroom faucet and all went well apart from the old pipes underneath I was not going to touch these but one split. They were metal and corroded however the rest of the drain etc was pvc 1 1/4". I went and bought some new pvc, a p trap and extension arm as the new faucet drain is not as long as our old one.

The part thats leaking is the straight arm with the sharp turn at the end and gos from the waste pipe to the shorter end of the p trap. Unlike the rest of the pipes it had a kind of arrow head on the end preventing me from putting on a gasket (it seemed to get in the way when tightening down) this is the only place its leaking and the only joint without one of those plastic gaskets on.

My question is if there is meant to be a gasket how does it fit on? and instead can I use some pipe paste which contains silicone on the threads instead? I have pvc cement but want to see if there is an alternative before I start glueing stuff, thanks in advance Nick

King3244

Reaction score
Do you mean the swivel? If so wrap the threads and the bell mouth with a couple or wraps of teflon tape and then tighten.

Nickp

Reaction score
I believe so its the pip just past the water in the p trap where the sewer gases are stopped by the trap water, the mouth of the pipe is different than the other straight ones, thanks for the reply

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks