Leak in solar panel

Discussion in 'Solar and Geothermal Water Heating Forum' started by wanderl1, Jun 14, 2009.

1. wanderl1

wanderl1 New Member

I have solar panels to heat my pool. They have pinhole leaks. Last year I used aquarium glue to stop the leaks which have re-occurred. What can I use to plug these leaks? The panels appear to be plastic or a similar substance.

Larry
  2. protech

protech Master plumber

Well, first you need to find out WHY the leaks happened in the first place.

As far as plugging the leaks, you need something like this. They usually don't last long though.
  3. dextercath96@gmail.com

dextercath96@gmail.com New Member

Solar Power Generator

I suggest to change your solar panel. Because it is already damage. Can you help me in building up a solar power generator? Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.Thank you. http://www.sunpowerport.com
  4. rogerd

rogerd New Member

These leaks keep recurring. Same problem with mine too. I have already tried fixing it twice, but the leak reappeared at another spot in the tubing this time. any one why this happens? My system is quite old - about 15 years old. Do I need to replace it?
  5. cssolar

cssolar New Member

water leak

If the system is indirect, maybe you could add some car rad weld into ( the non used water part of the system )

Regards Tony cssolar
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Solar pool heaters are NOT indirect, and are usually made of ABS plastic. If it has small individual tubes, you can cut them at the leaks and use John Guest "push on" 3/8" couplings to splice it back together. Otherwise, and especially since it seems to have multiple leaks, either check to see if your panel has a "lifetime" warranty or replace it/them because they are "worn out".
  7. protech

protech Master plumber

Actually, it not ABS it's usually polypropylene. I'm not aware of a panel on the market that use can repair with a 3/8"ID cts pushfit fitting.

To the OP: If leaks keep reoccurring, You are probably patching them wrong. Most panel damage is either from freezing or over pressure due to a closed system.
    Panels can just start leaking for no reason other than sun exposure after 20 years.