Leak in rough plumbing Kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

SergioMastro

Reaction score
Leak in rough plumbing Kitchen *triple* sink

Guys,

I tried to unblock my kitchen sink yesterday, and I knew I shouldn't but I did pour some "drano" stuff, and it created a crack in my "P" trap abs pipe.

Tonight I was able to use temp plumbing tape, and all runs good. I know this will buy me a few days, so I really need some good advice on how I can proceed with repair.

Some questions:

1. Can I remove leaking pipe? The right side has screw type, the left side is glued. This plumbing is 15 years old.

2. Do I bite the bullet, and redo the spaghetti, and make it simpler? My wife will be happy with more free space under sink :)

Thanks in advance!
Sergio

Attachments

• SM Kitchen Plumbing Leak.jpg
    SM Kitchen Plumbing Leak.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 961
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Someone had a lot of time on their hands, or were working time and materials, to create that kludge. Drano did NOT create the leak, but it could have been there and the Drano removed whatever was keeping it from leaking. Cut it ALL out and redo it properly. The middle sink can make a new setup "interesting" but it can be done. Especially since you do not have a disposer, which by the way, having one is the usual reason for having a triple sink in the first place and what the small basin was designed for.

SergioMastro

Reaction score
The middle sink is usually used for the vegetable cleaning.

So if I cut all, can I keep 1 "p", and make left and right drain connect to middle drain??

Can someone guide me in right direction before I cut it all.

Thanks...
sergio

Someone had a lot of time on their hands, or were working time and materials, to create that kludge. Drano did NOT create the leak, but it could have been there and the Drano removed whatever was keeping it from leaking. Cut it ALL out and redo it properly. The middle sink can make a new setup "interesting" but it can be done. Especially since you do not have a disposer, which by the way, having one is the usual reason for having a triple sink in the first place and what the small basin was designed for.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
Yikes, that's quite an install. Let's see, you probably should run all the pipes together and then down into 1 trap. To do this you'll need to cut the pipe downstream of the good trap past the wye that ties both traps together(main kitchen waste) because you'll need to get rid of the bad trap and it appears to be glued joint to joint. Next you'll want to cut the center sink pipe and install a double wye and 1/8 bend (combo), you may need to lower the good trap to allow the 2 side sinks to tie into the wye at the same level. You can lower the good trap but make sure that the bottom of the downstream side of the trap (the 90 degree elbow after the u bend)is not lower than the bottom main waste outlet it goes into. Keep it slightly elevated to give you a good slope about 1/4" per foot should do it. When all is said and done, you'll have both sinks tied into the center sink and going down into the center sink trap wich will then gently slope to the waste pipe sticking out of the cabinet in the left hand corner. Nice and clean. Good luck!

SergioMastro

Reaction score
Ok, here is my action plan, please let me know if this will work before I cut.
Thanks for guidance!

Here is my list of inventory:
  • 2 x 1 1/2 wye
  • 1 x 1 1/2 45
  • spare 1 1/2 pipe
  • few couplings 1 1/2

Sergio

Yikes, that's quite an install. Let's see, you probably should run all the pipes together and then down into 1 trap. To do this you'll need to cut the pipe downstream of the good trap past the wye that ties both traps together(main kitchen waste) because you'll need to get rid of the bad trap and it appears to be glued joint to joint. Next you'll want to cut the center sink pipe and install a double wye and 1/8 bend (combo), you may need to lower the good trap to allow the 2 side sinks to tie into the wye at the same level. You can lower the good trap but make sure that the bottom of the downstream side of the trap (the 90 degree elbow after the u bend)is not lower than the bottom main waste outlet it goes into. Keep it slightly elevated to give you a good slope about 1/4" per foot should do it. When all is said and done, you'll have both sinks tied into the center sink and going down into the center sink trap wich will then gently slope to the waste pipe sticking out of the cabinet in the left hand corner. Nice and clean. Good luck!

Attachments

• SM Kitchen Plumbing Leak Action Plan.jpg
    SM Kitchen Plumbing Leak Action Plan.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 636
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks