lead flared pipe/installing a flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by BobMin, Apr 19, 2007.

1. BobMin

BobMin New Member

I have a lead closet bend, that goes into a cast iron soil stack on the second floor of my house. I know the proper thing is to replace all the lead from the flange to the soil stack. However the lead is in excellent shape, I don't have the money to have someone replace that plus the galvanized waste lines that jut into it from the sink and the tub, and if I do it myself I'm not qualified for other problems that might arise while doing the job.
    I'm going to be installing a 1/4" subfloor and then sheet vinyl on top of that, which will bring the floor up from the flared lead closet bend.
    What is the best way for a diyer to install a flange on the lead closet bend and also make it so that the flange is the proper height ( as if it where seated ontop of the subfloor)
    Bob
  2. TedL

TedL New Member

You already removed the old flange?
  3. BobMin

BobMin New Member

flange

There was not a flange under the toilet, only a wax ring with a horn and the flared lead pipe
  4. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Yes, some old timers used to peen the lead over onto the floor and use closet screws, not bolts to hold the toilet.
  5. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

There is a flat brass flange still available for lead bends. It is to be put over the lead riser, then fastened to the floor and finally the lead riser is pounded down onto the flange.