Lead bend to Offset flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Snaps

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking here for a while - site is awesome and really helped me with some projects!

I haven't been able to find an answer to my particular question so I'm hoping someone can help.

My wife and I bought a house built in 1950 about a year ago. We gutted the whole house and are DIY reno'ing it (for better or for worse). Few notes - house is built on a slab with radiant heat throughout - therefore tearing up the slab is a very tenuous procedure.

The master bath is very small but we tiled the whole thing (floors and walls) with porcelain tile. I built a small knee wall that a glass shower door will sit on in the future. From this, I inadvertently narrowed the space where the toilet would go (see pic).

My original solution (which has been in use now for about 6 months) was a 1-inch brass offset flange that I used horizontally instead of vertically to move the toilet a bit to the right. I peened the lead and brazed it. The install went fine and is fully functional. The only problem is that it's still not centered within the already too-narrow space. This irritates the wife.

She found a 2-inch cast iron offset flange that might center the toilet. I haven't been able to find anything regarding soldering or brazing a cast-iron flange to a lead bend. I'm also concerned that I'll have to chip away tile (not so big of a deal) and the slab (bigger deal w/ the radiant heat concerns) in order to make the room needed for the flange to sit flush with the finished floor.

So questions:
1 - can you mate a cast iron flange with lead in the same way as the brass? i.e. peening and brazing?
2 - Are there any other ways to offset horizontally? I can't seem to find any other potential solutions.

I know the space is too narrow - but we're going to deal with that until we're ready for another reno. Too much excitement and not enough forethought put into this part of the project.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading the replies.

Attachments

• IMG-3666.JPG
    IMG-3666.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 228

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the slab heat were done properly, it would not be running below the toilet.

Cast iron cannot be joined by brazing. A brass ring is used and molten lead is wiped around and over it to tie together the different materials.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks