Kohler Villager or American Standard Princeton

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Rmok1111, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Rmok1111

Rmok1111 New Member

Hello everybody, I am in the process of preparing to redo my bathroom in a condo. I plan on paying a plumber to redo my tub and piping in a 3 wall alcove. I am leaning towards the kohler because of the white color, but it is heavy. The americast has a off white compared to the kohler. I am ok with going with the americast if it is cheaper to install and I can live with the color because the tub is covered up by the curtain. I don't know if there will be that much of a difference in color because I am planning to put up sand color tarvertine on the walls and floor. I also would like to match the kohler sink and toilet that I am planning to put in.

1. Would I have a problem with the weight because I am on the second floor of my condo/coach home that was built in 95? Right now I think I have a vekrill tub there.

2. Will the plumber need access to the ceiling underneath the tub to connect the tub drain because other homeowners live underneath?

3. Does it cost more for a plumber to install a cast iron tub than steel tub because of weight?

4. Can anybody recommend a good licensed plumber in the chicagoland area?

Thank you,

Ray
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The Americast is a very good tub, and has an excellent performance reputation both on this forum, and in my area, where they are used a lot. I have used it with great success.
  3. Rmok1111

Rmok1111 New Member

Thanks Jimbo, I guess I have to figure out the numbers and talk to the plumber.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I would give second thoughts to a Kohler toilet. Do a search here and see what the others have thought. Every manufacturer makes a white, some make more than one, so close or even exact matches are possible. I'd give their tub and sink a chance, but probably think twice there too. Do not get caught up in their faucets, either. Really tough to get repair parts later on.