kohler "popup-less" tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Mike_J, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Mike_J

Mike_J New Member

My kohler bathtub has one of those internal stopper systems with no pop-up and just a strainer covering the hole. For tubs that are used for bathing, this seems unsanitary since the germs and nasty gunk in the drain hole have a free path straight into the bath water. Is it possible to retrofit a proper pop-up stopper? I'm not sure of the model but it seems to be the same as the 'Villager' style tub except that it has a normal up-and-down stopper lever instead of the spinning control they seem to use now.

Mike J.
    Boston
  2. Clayton

Clayton Plumber

Your waste and overflow assembly can most likely be converted to an inexpensive lift & turn or toe touch style pop-up drain. However to convert it to a pop-up style that still uses the trip lever or turn style lever mounted on the overflow would most likely be more expensive and would depend on the style or manufacturer of the waste and overflow assembly you currently have.

My recommendation.... remove the entire waste and overflow drain assembly and replace it with a Geberit drain assembly.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

The simple installation is the change it to a push/pull drain. To convert it to a trip lever or other remote operator such as a Gerberit, requires that the drain assembly behind and under the tub be changed and that is not always easy, and sometimes it is impossible, to do.