Kodak printers

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just about 13 months ago, I had to buy a new printer, because I had to replace the computer, got Vista, no-go on old printer. Within the first year, the printhead croaked TWICE. Each time, customer service from Kodak was pretty good, and they sent a new printhead and a new ink set each time. Each time they assured me the problems were fixed and I would be good to go!

Now the thing is croaked again. This time, Kodak is fedexing a whole new printer. Customer service was on the phone practically before I stopped dialing the number. I suspect there is some deep dark secret design malfunction in this, and they are replacing the whole thing to salvage what is left of their reputation.

I know I regret buying the Kodak,but am committed somewhat. But after this, assuming I get several months or more out of this new thing, when it goes again...I am going back to HP!

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Jimbo - I'm not an expert here, but I've had real good luck with Canon printers. I'm very loyal if a product works well. Have bought nothing but Canon printers over the years, and everyone has worked very well.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I ditched those old color inkjets years ago. Expensive and a pita.

If, like most people, your printing is mostly black and white then go out and buy a cheap laser printer. They're super reliable and cheap to run.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I ditched those old color inkjets years ago. Expensive and a pita.

If, like most people, your printing is mostly black and white then go out and buy a cheap laser printer. They're super reliable and cheap to run.

That is a good plan..... True that most of my printing is just plain pages. I do print some photo's, but I also have a Kodak printer dock that I use with the camera, and I can link the dock to the computer and print on it. 4X6 is all I ever really want to print, so this may make a lot of sense.

I had a Canon scanner, and it was great. Tremendous resolution. I had the same problem when I got the Vista ( sounds like a disease from the PI??)....no driver support, so I got the Kodak all-in-one machine.

Dorrough

Reaction score
All inkjets work differently. HP printers, for example - the replacement cartridges are more expensive, and it's because they include a new print head in the cartridge. Epson printers, in my experience, are prone to print head clogging if you don't print from them fairly often, and the clogged heads don't seem to clean. You can waste a whole ink cartridge on a cleaning cycle and still have nothing. Brother printers, maybe they have improved but the ones I've used quit printing in black and white when the color cartridges run low. Sometimes the cartridge still has plenty of ink, but the Brother senses it wrong. Brother - and some others - have "hidden" technology that prints a non-visible, very imperceptible pattern in yellow ink that identifies what printer made that print. I guess it was supposed to be a way to trace a print back to a specific printer, but it 's a hassle.

I agree that an inexpensive laser printer is the way to go. Even color ones have come down quite a bit in price. Make sure you get one that works with both PC and Apple, in case you one day want to get a Mac. I picked up an HP printer for free - only works with the PC. Gnash, teeth, gnash!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When I print photos, I want them to be of the 100 year variety ( family albums for the kids and grandkids) so I liked the Kodak ink technology. I believe HP and others are now also making printers which can do archival quality prints.

I read quite a bit ( belatedly ) about the technology of inkjet print heads. The little nozzles are subjected to quite surpising amount of pressure, and that is why they wear out. That is why the refilling of cartridges was a fad not seen so much any more. You could get away with it a few times, but not forever.

Companies like office depot do sell generic inks like for HP, which are done with I believe recycled cartridges, but I think they must inspect them, or something. I used a lot of Office Depot carts in my old HP, and never had trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks