Kitchen-washer cast iron drain is corroded

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by pachi, May 2, 2010.

1. pachi

pachi Reporter

The 2" inch cast iron drain is corroded. It runs almost on 1/3 of the inside of the kitchen. The floor is slab. To re-install the drain in the same location would required to brake the kitchen floor brake the counter top, etc. I am considering re-routing it through the garage along the base of the walls. But the garage is not slope it is flat, would it be OK, and then be slopped the portion going outside the garage into the main sewer line? I am thinking of using ABS pipe to rebuild the drain path for the kitchen and the laundry in the garage. I would need to make three 90 degree turns on the entire path. I am in North California.
    Thank you in advance.

Fabian
  2. asktom

asktom Member

You need a minimum of 1/4" drop throughout the entire run. ABS exposed in the garage would not meet plumbing/fire code in CA. Three 90s is too many without clean-outs, meeting code would depend on exactly how it was done.
  3. dcelite

dcelite Plumber

If you can not run the pipe with 1/4"/ft slope then you need a pump. Can you run the pipe outside and put the pipe in a trench to run it to the sewer line?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you will not, or cannot, do it correctly call a professional who can and will do it.