Kitchen Sink Replacement

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by hrsnblm, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. hrsnblm

    hrsnblm New Member

    I am in the process of doing a remodel in my kitchen and would like to ask a question regarding sink replacement.

    Previously I was looking at some of the more known names (Kohler, etc) for a new sink, but the prices for these sinks are OUTRAGEOUS. We are talking about a punched piece of metal to hold water. I have done more looking around and found similarly designed sinks (i.e., same material/weight, color, lay-out, ect.) but I am not familiar with the brand name.

    Has anyone had any experience with Morning Industry, Inc? They make sinks out of 18-gauge 304 Grade Stainless Steel, they have differing layouts like the "upper" manufacturers, and have lifetime warranties. But the hassle of installation and money spent to remove it later is worth trying to find out a little more information now.

    Let me thank you all ahead of time for any and all responses.

  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    San Diego
    As you already know, stainless steel sinks vary by gauge of stainless. A thick one will cost a lot more. They also vary by the undercoat treatment, used to silence the clinky sound. There are also different grades of stainless. This can affect appearance and the ability to remain rust-free. This information is harder to come by.

    You always pay more for Kohler. Not neessarily worth the money. There are many good name brands: Elkay/Dayton, etc. If you buy a cheap import, you don't know what's in the steel.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  3. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    New England
    I put in a Kindred sink (made in Canada). Fine so far (several years).
  4. Darren

    Darren New Member

    You may want to check out the 16 guage dropin and undermount sinks on **** for $200-$229 and $26 shipping. Also there are many 18 guage sinks for a little over $100. I just ordered one of the 16 gauge units. I'm not familiar with the brands, but there are 100's positive comments from **** buyers.

  5. undermount?? or normal

    if you are getting an undermount , get an ELKAY for
    about 250-300

    if you are just wanting a SS kitchen sink surface mount
    I suggest a DAYTON ELITE for about $100
  6. spitz

    spitz New Member

    How would I go about replacing an existing undermount sink? The counters are granite and the sink has already been installed. Would I just disconnect the plumbing, unscrew the bracket mounts, pry away the sink (caulked on) and reattach the new sink in the same drilled holes from the old sink?
  7. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    New England
    That works for me...getting most of the caulk off so you can make a nice tight connection with a new one can be a pain. My unprofessional opinion. You may be able to use a knife blade or a hack saw blade to get through the caulk to release the old sink. A sharpened putty knife might also work.
Similar Threads: Kitchen Sink
Forum Title Date
Remodel Forum & Blog Kitchen sink Nov 15, 2011
Remodel Forum & Blog Composit Granite kitchen versus Stainless Steel kitchen sink? Aug 2, 2010
Remodel Forum & Blog Single-Basin Kitchen Sink better than Double? Apr 30, 2010
Remodel Forum & Blog need help with installation of undermount kitchen sink Jan 16, 2009
Remodel Forum & Blog Kitchen Counter Sink Hole Standards Dec 7, 2008

Share This Page