Kitchen Sink in a Bathroom Vanity?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ufokillerz, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ufokillerz

ufokillerz New Member

So i have a situation, i would love to install a large kitchen sink in the bathroom

it definitely looks possible to do, but would i encounter any problems?

i am looking at a granite mixture sink, something large so i can bathe my infant in if possible. wife cannot bend down to shower her for medical reasons, and i do not get home until much later in the night.

do they sell a product so that you can keep using a bathroom sized drain in a kitchen sink?

i am looking at something like this
    http://www.houzersink.com/our-produ...s/montano-n-100xl-topmount-large-single-bowl/

if anyone has any good suggestions, please throw it out there for me, i just need something big enough to use as a infant tub.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Instead of a vanity cabinet, some people are using kitchen cabinets. A kitchen sink is often deeper than those designed for a vanity, and especially with a granite top, the edges would be too narrow to properly support things. I'd go with a kitchen cabinet to get the additional height and depth with lots of choices for drawers, if you wanted them as well. If you shop for vanities, you'll find they also come in various heights, but most are not counter depth like in a kitchen.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The piping under the sink should not be an issue. It was pretty common for older houses to have 1-1/2" drain piping for the kitchen, bath, and laundry. Current practice is to plumb 2" to kitchen and laundry, but the traps are still 1-1/2".
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A bathroom cabinet could be too shallow, front to back, for a kitchen sink. You need one at least 25" deep.
  5. DavidSeon

DavidSeon New Member

What's wrong with the kitchen sink?

Bath Time.jpg

Or a baby bathtub on a table?

Baby Tub.jpg

They outgrow sinks awfully fast!