Kitchen sink Gurgles when upstairs toilets are flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

brianh2000

Reaction score
Just as the Title says, whenever an upstairs toilets is flushed, the kitchen sink gurgles. It also causes a gurgling sound in the upstairs bathtubs.

Secenrio:

Newly constructed luxury home.. 4 yrs old

4 bathrooms..

2 upper level
1 main level
1 lower level

Changes to plumbing made:

The lower level bathroom was installed 3 yrs ago,
plumbling got dinged for improper venting at inspection.. corrected.

Single bowl kitchen sink was replaced with a double bowl when Granite countertops were installed. not inspected.

Seems the gurgling began after one of the two were completed, it became more noticable after the kitchen sink was installed.

Any idea's????

Forgot to mention, there is a flex PVC pipe installed under the sink with an additional elbow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gurgling

If it were a downstairs toilet, there could be a few causes, but with an upstairs one it is almost always a venting problem and we cannot diagnose that without being there.

brianh2000

Reaction score
thanks

If it were a downstairs toilet, there could be a few causes, but with an upstairs one it is almost always a venting problem and we cannot diagnose that without being there.

Could an improper installation of the kitchen sink be the cause of the venting issue? The flex pipe appears to be smaller than the others, as well as having a improper turn, wish I had a photo to post.. all in all this sink installation needs to be redone.. but could this cause this problem if airflow to the sink drain is impeded by too much water in the pipes under the sink caused by the improper trap in the flex pipe..??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sound

The connection between the sink and the trap has no bearing on your noise. How the pipes were installed in the wall is the critical thing. But, if it is a venting thing, then it would not have manifested itself until after the sinks were connected, if the openings in the walls were not sealed prior to that.

brianh2000

Reaction score
Venting

The connection between the sink and the trap has no bearing on your noise. How the pipes were installed in the wall is the critical thing. But, if it is a venting thing, then it would not have manifested itself until after the sinks were connected, if the openings in the walls were not sealed prior to that.

A little more info:

Prior to the modifications done after closing on the house and doing home improvements, this problem did not exist...

About 1 year later the basement was finished and a bathrm was installed using the builder's rough in.. at the same time the bathroom was installed a rough in for a wet bar was installed, but that installation did not initially pass inspection.. The inspector suggested a Mod and the mod was used...

The kitchen was upgraded shortly thereafter and somewhere between the two improvements, the gurgling started...

I have had a plumber look at the job but they could not figure it out, but I did notice that the sink connections in the kitchen were not done professionally by the company that installed the new sink along with the new granite tops.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I believe You have a vent problem ! My suggestion is to have it all camered
By an experianced plumber,that can give You a tape or cd. Please don't use a big box truck national co. Many times they send inexperianced help ,that don't know plumbing! ASKat the plumbing supply houses for an experianced plumber with camera. In N.Ca. this cost $350. good luck. P.S. tape gives You evidense ,If it was HACKED

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
WOOPS,I'M GUILTY ,AGAIN! I didn't read it all! Flex under sink is HACK LAND
You may have a double trap! Call a real plumber

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks