Kitchen Sink basket/strainer/drain sizing question - 3 1/2"??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by wilson4, Dec 9, 2008.

1. wilson4

wilson4 New Member

I need to replace my kitchen sink basket/strainer/drain with a new one. I'm not sure how these are sized. Mine is 3 1/4" across the hole opening, and 4" from outer lip edges. But most replacements I'm seeing online & in stores say 3 1/2" (or occasionally 3 1/2" - 4".) So my question is this: Are all sink basket/strainer/drains standard? Is there a way to make a 3 1/2" basket work in my sink? My house was built in 1993, so not horribly old. (I've seen them called all three - basket, strainer, and drain--so that's why I've listed it like that.) Thanks for the help.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

strainer

When both pieces are together it is a basket strainer drain. Otherwise it is just the basket/strainer or the sink drain fitting. Over the years, some manufacturers, such as Kohler, have made sinks with non-standard openings and then made drains to fit them. Then the stopped making both parts, making orphans of the ones already installed. Almost all modern sinks, including those of your era have an opening that the 3 1/2" strainer fits into. If yours does not, then you have two options since other size drains are not made. Either change the sink or grind the opening larger.
  3. wilson4

wilson4 New Member

Thanks for the answer. Maybe I'm confused on what's supposed to be 3 1/2". Is it the hole I see from uptop (what I show as 3 1/4"), or is it the hole that the strainer fits into that is predrilled when you buy the sink?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hole

The hole in the sink. The opening in the drain that you see, obviously HAS to be smaller than the actual opening in the sink.