kitchen appliances

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chaoster, Mar 15, 2009.

1. chaoster

chaoster New Member

What are some good brands to consider? Mainly a fridge and stove. Seems Ge cost more than others. Interested in mid range stuff not top of the line pro quality.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Whirlpool is top of the heap in my book. GE is pretty good.
    Sears Kenmore brand always seems to hold up well. A lot of their stuff is made by GE and Whirlpool, but not exclusively. They use ALL brands, including some you have not heard of.

Problem today is....there are only a few companies in the appliance business. GE, Whirlpool, and LG are the big guns. Next is Electrolux.

Just about any other brand you see out there is made/owned by one of these. ( Whirlpool = Roper, Estate, Maytag) ( Electrolux= Frigidaire, etc.)
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

apliances

What features do you want? Sometimes that eliminates a lot of options. For example, my induction cooktop was only made by GE or a couple of companies in Australia, which would have made getting service somewhat difficult. Even then I got the last one available in the United States and it was new, but an obsolete model, and the exact one I wanted.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  4. Macman

Macman New Member

We went through this decision last summer. One of the places I checked when reading up was Consumer Reports. GE and Whirlpool were one of the best for reliability, while Maytag consistently was one of the worst. Decided on GE for both fridge and (gas) range. Haven't regretted the decision so far, but major appliances are one of the few things that I do believe in extended warranties on. They don't make 'em like they used to. We purchased mid-range product quality line stuff. The only thing that nobody seems to get good grades on is icemakers. Ours does the job, but that's about it.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009