Kinetico Quad 51 media replacement - 4 tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

SidDIY

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Kinetico Quad 51 which has 4 mini tanks (two sets of one on top of the other tanks). It looks similar to the Kinetico model 4040 which can be checked online. The upper two tanks carry resin while the bottom two tanks carry carbon. I have seen videos about replacing resin in a single long tank on other Kinetico models. But for this model with 4 mini tanks, do I need to separate the upper and lower tanks in one set and then replace the resin and carbon respectively? Or can these upper and lower tanks not be separated / taken apart? And in that case do I have to first pour in carbon into the lower tank via the upper tank followed by the resin in the upper tank? Any guidance or videos or instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid

Kevin Trinh

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Kinetico Quad 51 which has 4 mini tanks (two sets of one on top of the other tanks). It looks similar to the Kinetico model 4040 which can be checked online. The upper two tanks carry resin while the bottom two tanks carry carbon. I have seen videos about replacing resin in a single long tank on other Kinetico models. But for this model with 4 mini tanks, do I need to separate the upper and lower tanks in one set and then replace the resin and carbon respectively? Or can these upper and lower tanks not be separated / taken apart? And in that case do I have to first pour in carbon into the lower tank via the upper tank followed by the resin in the upper tank? Any guidance or videos or instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid
SidDIY - Hope you found your solution and share if possible. I trying to do the same as you are for Quad51. I have replaced Resin and Carbon for those single long tanks before but have NOT done these Quad51. Thanks.

SidDIY

Reaction score
SidDIY - Hope you found your solution and share if possible. I trying to do the same as you are for Quad51. I have replaced Resin and Carbon for those single long tanks before but have NOT done these Quad51. Thanks.
Hi Kevin,
No luck yet. Still waiting to figure out how to separate and open the lower tank containing the carbon in my Quad51. So far, I have only managed to empty the resin in the upper tank. Help appreciated! Thanks, Sid

Kevin Trinh

Reaction score
Sid,
I able to took all the tanks apart. Tried to upload images but it complaint too big. Give me your email address and I will send the images of my tanks and tool.

SidDIY

Reaction score
Sid,
I able to took all the tanks apart. Tried to upload images but it complaint too big. Give me your email address and I will send the images of my tanks and tool.
Great news Kevin. I have shared my email address with you in a separate conversation. If you can share the pictures, I can trying reducing the picture size and uploading it on this forum for others.

SidDIY

Reaction score
Here are the instructions and pictures from Kevin who was able to take apart the Quad 50/51 water softener tanks -
1. Get an adjustable wrench as seen in pic 1.
2. Strap the tanks to a tree so it won't spin as seen in pic 2. DON'T STRAP TOO TIGHT OTHERWISE THE TANKS MAY BREAK . Unstrap top tank when taking the bottom tank apart.
3. Use the adjustable wrench to loosen the tanks (in the middle of the tanks) as seen in pic 3.
4. Pic 4 shows all the four Quad 50/51 tanks taken apart.
s1.jpg

S2.JPG

S3.JPG
S4.JPG

Jditroia

Reaction score
Here are the instructions and pictures from Kevin who was able to take apart the Quad 50/51 water softener tanks -
1. Get an adjustable wrench as seen in pic 1.
2. Strap the tanks to a tree so it won't spin as seen in pic 2. DON'T STRAP TOO TIGHT OTHERWISE THE TANKS MAY BREAK . Unstrap top tank when taking the bottom tank apart.
3. Use the adjustable wrench to loosen the tanks (in the middle of the tanks) as seen in pic 3.
4. Pic 4 shows all the four Quad 50/51 tanks taken apart.View attachment 72512
View attachment 72516
View attachment 72513 View attachment 72514
Did you replace the carbon? If so what mesh did you use? I heard it is 8x16?
Finally, where did you purchase the carbon…I can’t seem to find it

steve51983

Reaction score
Hi. I have the same problem, except my softener is a 4040OD, which came after the Quad 50/51. I have taken it apart but am struggling to get the tanks apart. i can try strapping it tighter, but was concerned about your comment re: the tanks breaking. There has to be a simple way to do this, I watched the service guy do it but I can't remember exactly what he did. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

tjramjet

Reaction score
Did you replace the carbon? If so what mesh did you use? I heard it is 8x16?
Finally, where did you purchase the carbon…I can’t seem to find it
I also have Kinetico Quad 51 - 4 small tanks and now I smell chlorine at home. In reading other threads, they mentioned replacing carbon. What carbon did you purchase and where, and also, what about the resin? How much carbon do I put in each tank? Thanks for any help
Tony

Kevin Trinh

Reaction score
Hi. I have the same problem, except my softener is a 4040OD, which came after the Quad 50/51. I have taken it apart but am struggling to get the tanks apart. i can try strapping it tighter, but was concerned about your comment re: the tanks breaking. There has to be a simple way to do this, I watched the service guy do it but I can't remember exactly what he did. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You can have someone hug the tank while you using the wrench tool in picture #1 to open it. Strapping to a tree is one man solution. Hope this help.

Kevin Trinh

Reaction score
I also have Kinetico Quad 51 - 4 small tanks and now I smell chlorine at home. In reading other threads, they mentioned replacing carbon. What carbon did you purchase and where, and also, what about the resin? How much carbon do I put in each tank? Thanks for any help
Tony
I got my from US Water System "US WATER CARB-SORB GRANULAR ACTIVATED CARBON - 1 CU/FT". You can also get resin here too. Quad 51 is suppose to be packed system so it should take .5 cu/ft but to be safe just do .4 on all tanks. I have replaced a few system already and found it's better to soaked and clean the carbon prior to filling into the tanks. Hope that help. Good luck.

Last edited:

hobber

Reaction score
i appreciate all the info above. thank you guys. so, i have a kinetico 4040 OD (quad tank setup) and need to re-bed both carbon and resin. i checked US Water site and they sell different types of carbon and resin (High Efficiency HE or High Flow HF). does anyone know the exact spec of the carbon and resin i need for my kinetico 4040? we are on city water. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited: