Kidney cup seal replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Erep

Reaction score
Leaky Kohler turn-only, off-cold-hot (CCW?!) tub/shower control. Replced O-rings; popped plate to access cup seals and springs; cleaned rust out; regreased with silicone, but still drips.

Don't want to buy $30 complete assembly. Round cup seals seem to be available fairly cheap. (There are two of them.) Can't find the kidney-shaped, 2-hole cup seal anywhere and I suspect that one is the leaker.

Anybody know a part number or where these can be ordered?

Erep

Reaction score
Here's a pic that I neglected to add.

Attachments

• IMG_20240229_153236874.jpg
    IMG_20240229_153236874.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 24

Erep

Reaction score
I looks like I added the pic while you were composing your post.

In the meantime, I found a fix. Turns out the round ones are looser in their pockets than the kidney shaped one so I was able to stack 4 O-rings under the one that covers the cold in the off position. I'm sure the 2nd round one also leaks, but who cares if a drop of cold is added per pint of hot in the full hot position.

The same small O-rings that go around the hot and cold inputs are perfect for the job and I have a hundred of them.

These darn seals shrink/harden over time. The springs maintain the seal to the plate, but can't help with the seal to the pockets. These cups have a thin lip that should get forced against the pocket wall by water pressure. The top O-ring in my stack spreads the lip out.

I did this yesterday. Still no drip this morning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks