Kenmore Ultra0Soft 200 or 250 Shutting house water off.

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Airborne16, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Airborne16

Airborne16 New Member

My 7 or 8 year old Kenmore UltraSoft 200 (or 250) water softener appears to have shut my house water off, all of it. No toilets, sinks, fridge water dispenser, nada. I've confirmed at the street (main water valve) that the main source is good but the old water softener seems to be the culprit. I've unplugged the cord and replugged it in. I've pushed the re-cycle buttons, to no avail. What am I missing? Thanks. 254-220-3806. Ron (Airborne16)
  2. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

Check your service manual but it sounds like the valve is stuck.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

If it doesn't have a by pass valve, you cut it out of the plumbing and put the plumbing back together but.... how did you determine that it is the softener? More likely is a gate valve gate broke and closed or a washer came off a washer type valve and the gate or washer is blocking water flow.

But it could be a blocked top or bottom basket in the softener is blocked up but that is a very rare thing that has to have a cause that comes in with the water. Has your water been dirty lately? Do you have a well or city water. With city water I can't guess what could block a softener.

BTW, if you unplug the softener, it can not do a regeneration because there is no power to move the valve parts so it is just going to sit there not even knowing you pushed any buttons. It's like taking your battery out of the car or disconnecting it and sitting there turning the key to Start, On etc. and pushing the window and door lock buttons, and nothing happens.
  4. Gary Slusser

Say what!

All residential control valves have an internal hard water by pass meaning that if you use water during a regeneration you get hard water, not no water.
  5. Airborne16

Airborne16 New Member

Thank you for the input. No, I did regeneration after it was plugged back in and nothing has changed. The brine valve isn't stuck; slides freely on its track. What other accessible valve might there be that I could troubleshoot? My Kenmore 250 (NOT 200) has a by-pass PVC valve that slides in and out for servicing purposes. I've pushed it in and out; still no house water. Its Saturday now; no Sears Kenmore repairman til Monday at soonest. Just thought I could tinker around with it myself and get it running. Good thing my wife's away this weekend!
  6. Gary Slusser

There is no other valve in a softener.

You didn't answer my questions about what makes you think it is the softener and not a water shut off valve?
  7. Airborne16

Airborne16 New Member

Oh, sorry. I think its the softener because this same unexpected water shutoff occurred 2 weeks ago. We troubleshooted the water softener and the house water came back on within minutes. That does NOT necessarily mean there's a cause and effect. The city water company confirmed it was not a problem on their end of the meter. My water main at the meter splits into an inground sprinkler system (which is working fine right now....just tested it) and the main house intake which runs through the water softener. I don't know if I need a plumber or a Sears water softener technician. The in-house water worked fine a midnight last night. By 7 a.m. today not a drop through sinks or toilets. Hmmmmm.
  8. Airborne16

Airborne16 New Member

Oh, sorry. I think it might be the softener because the same thing happend 2 weeks ago. After troubleshooting the water softener the house water magically came on moments later. That does NOT necessarily mean cause and effect; maybe coincidental. The city water company confirmed the problem lies between the street-side meter and my house; not their problem. The meter splits my water into two usags: my yard sprinkler system (and its working fine even as we speak), and into my house via the water softener. I had house water usage at midnight last night and not a drop by 7 a.m. today. Not sure if I need a plumber or a Sears water softener technician. Thks for the comeback. Ron
  9. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Is there a bypass on the unit that you could change from service to bypass?
    treated to untreated?
  10. Airborne16

Airborne16 New Member

Yes, and either way I've pushed it, it still hasn't triggered anything. No agua either way.
  11. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Either the bypass has broken or as Gary said, something else in the system (house, not necessarily the softener) is clogged. Gate valves when they fail can cause this, as can those with washers that fail.
  12. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

With it in bypass or in service there is no Water?

If this is the case then find the valve just before the softener to make sure that it is open, I have seen a ball valve that is just before a system get turned to the off mod and no water into the house..
  13. Skip Wolverton

Skip Wolverton In the Trades

Turn the main water valve off, depressurise and remove the bypass stem. Turn water on to make sure it's getting to the unit. Check for a bad oring on the plunger.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  14. nhmaster3015

15. Airborne16

Airborne16 New Member

Team, the mystery is solved. I repiped my city water into my house BI-PASSING my water softener, and I STILL had no water flow...until I gently tapped my exposed PVC pipes. The tapping dislodged the blockage at the heart of my mystery. Calcium build-up, sediment, or something. My softener had been off for a couple of months due to a minor problem it was having, and that must've been enough hardwater to build up a blockage, the one 2 weeks ago and the one this weekend. I'm repiping my watersoftener back, exactly as it was, re-reading the user manual for the umpteenth time....and even then probably still having a Sears technician out this week to ensure it is operating correctly. I appreciate your contributions, Wally, Gary, Skip, Jim, and my friend in Alaska. My wife thinks I'm a blogg nerd but I was impressed by your knowlege and quick willingness to walk with me through this challenge. Ron...Airborne16
  16. Gary Slusser

17. Gary Slusser

You're welcome Ron, and thanks for your service.
  18. nhmaster3015

Go away, your entire purpose in life is to argue with people and start trouble. Get a life or get out
  19. Gary Slusser

Say WHAT!!

Man you're getting emotional again.... Step away from the adult beverages earlier in the evening and then get more sleep and I promise you'll feel better.
  20. nhmaster3015

I'll back off the adult beverage when you back off the crack pipe