Kenmore dryer motor won't start

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael3442

Reaction score
Without warning, my older Kenmore clothes dryer motor wouldn't start (motor # 690870). When the start button is pressed the motor turns about 1/4 inch and stops, if I spin the drum by hand it starts going and completes its cycle, indicating that lubrication isn't the issue. The motor shaft spins freely both with and without the belt attached and as soon as I hit the power switch and spin it the motor takes off and the centrifugal switch kicks in and moves to the proper position. So the motor runs when nudged, the power switch and door switches work, it just won't start spinning without an assist although it gives a little wiggle movement when the power switch is pressed. Is there a start-up circuit in the motor that may be defective? Or?? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Need the dryer model number to look up parts and diagrams. Looking at several motor wiring diagrams there are no start capacitors. Possible the centrifugal switch has a worn out set of contacts or the start button is bad. Most dryers (whirlpool and Kenmore use the came electrical \ layout forever. Not much has changed on any model. Below is very typical however this model I found is newer with electronic controls. Look up your model for the head control. This service manual explains how to test a motor if your into it taking apart the unit.

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Appliance guy told me to keep my kenmore dryer for as long as possible. If you can’t fix it yourself, this might be one of those rare instances where it is worth getting a pro to look at instead of replacing. If you go with a “one man show” you might get the work done for a reasonable price.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Centrifugal switch might not be working. Need to inspect it's operation. Might need to be lubricated so it will slide over the shaft and pivot points.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks