Jet Pump Dry Run Protection – How to Judge Pump Quality?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Dean Erger, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Dean Erger

Dean Erger New Member

I’m looking for a new shallow well jet pump, probably 1 hp. Do most cast iron pumps have built in protection in case the water intake runs dry?

I want to get a pump that will provide long reliable service. I’d appreciate recommendations for quality pump brands, or what to look for in a pump. I’ve read about some Gould, Red Jacket, Red Lion and Dayton pumps, but I don’t know enough to judge quality. I understand the specifications for gpm/well depth/psi, and maximum psi, and I assume that higher gpm/max psi may indicate a better pump, but the gpm/max psi of all the 1 hp cast iron pumps are fairly close. Pump prices, however, can vary significantly.
  2. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

Goulds is pretty good.

I can't comment on the run dry protection part of it, I don't deal with that a lot. I did run across something that would not let the pump run hot, but I'll have to look it up.
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Goulds; Sta-Rite; Berkley all build quality pumps. Install a low pressure cut-off pressure switch or even better a Digital Pressure Switch
    EPS15/9 from http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/index2.html. Either will shut the pump down when it looses prime.
  4. Dean Erger

Dean Erger New Member

I installed an EPS15/9. Looks very well made. Heavy duty. Works fine.
  5. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

The EPS15/99 also has low pressure cut off to protect the pump from a dry run condition.