Jet or Auger

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by essjay, Aug 26, 2013.

1. essjay

essjay New Member

Planning on getting the main sewer drain a preemptive cleaning, no problems at this writing. What method cleaning would be the proper selection for the price? I am under the impression that jetting the lines do cost more than the auger method. Would jetting allow for a longer next maintenance of the line?

The lines are cast iron (house built circa 1965ish).
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I NEVER recommend "preemptive cleaning". It can create problems that you did not have previously. A snake MAY chip off the stalagmites and stalactites which have "grown" in the sewer, but jetting would not do so.
  3. essjay

essjay New Member

"Damned if you do, damned if you dont"....

It IS interesting that all the reasons I've seen to periodically clean your main sewer line are usually from plumbers websites.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is like the quote I read in a trade journal yesterday. The engineer was talking about how making drain lines oversized promotes stoppages and a contractor told him to stop saying that because he makes a lot of money from snaking drain lines. Some plumbers make a lot of money snaking drain lines that do not have problems. IT is even easier to do that because there is no way to tell if the plumber had any effect on the drain's flow. He could go in 100' or 10' and the drain would still work the same.