Jacuzzi, GFI, receptical, butter knife...

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Do it yourself Dave, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Do it yourself Dave

Do it yourself Dave New Member

I've converted a storage closet into a bathroom. It was originally designed to be a bathroom based on the drainage and hot/cold water connections in the wall.

The only thing that wasn't configured for a bathroom was the electrical. I've decided to put in a Jacuzzi tub. There is already a receptical 12+ inches off the deck near the Jacuzzi motor. This receptacle also feeds an outlet going to the hall way on the other side of the wall.

My question is should I install a GFI receptical or put in a GFI breaker or both?
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

If it is in a bathroom it should already be GFI protected. Problem is the motor and/or heater needs a dedicated circuit(s).
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Gfci

It depends on whether you want to go all the way to the panel to reset a GFCI breaker, or just push a button near the tub. But it should a separate circuity because of the motor's amperage, and possible future heater. I don't what you intended to ask about the butter knife.
  4. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Troubleshooting & replacement is easier with a GFI receptacle.