It's a girl! British royal succession rules to change

Discussion in 'Ian's Corner' started by Cookie, Oct 28, 2011.

1. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If I read the news correctly, a first born GIRL can be queen, but not if she is a NUN!!!!
  3. pipehacker

pipehacker New Member

I am a big fan of halloween and my kids have and I hope always will enjoy the same. I am not sure, however, of Ian's premise that being pro-church makes one anti-Halloween. One of my kids goes to a public junior high, the others go to a Catholic school. The Catholic schoolers all went off to school this morning with their costumes and they will have their annual Halloween parade where they dress up and walk around the parking area. This is really cute and the grandparents love it. Halloween, however, has been banned from public school, apparently because the local Wiccans expressed that it was disrespectful of their religion. The title of the overpaid and underworked school district bueracrat that made this decision is Equity Coordinator, who is paid $100,000 per year to make sure that no one except Christian white heterosexuals are ever offended in the school district. He also recently resceduled one of my son's dances because it fell on Yom Kippur.
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

All I am saying is that there are some people in this country who do not embrace halloween on religious grounds.

You would not find groups like this in Europe where Christianity is less extreme.

I appreciate the historical reasons for this difference:

1) It was the stricter of the faith that came over on the boat here.

2) You had far fewer losses in World Wars I and II which tends to dent one's confidence in an Almighty.

These two factors also explain why America has "church traffic" and Europe does not.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  5. pipehacker

pipehacker New Member

Hey Ian, when you were growing up in Britain did you play with toy guns, cowboys and Indians, and toy soldiers? Any difference in being a kid there vs. here?
  6. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

It was all the same. The times have changed but I did what you did back then.

Sunday school (that did not last long).

Running around in the woods with toy guns, climbing trees.

Riding bikes.

Fishing (with a permit).

Making go-carts.

Eating candy.

Shooting air pistols.

Carrying knives.

Lighting fires.

The last three we probably shouldn't have done.

Scouts.

Camping.

Drinking the odd can of beer.

American kids probably wouldn't do the last bit because the police will arrest kids here for doing that. In England they would just take the beer.

I think it is crazy what American police do to underage drinkers. And their parents.
  7. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

here in the NY metro area, all public schools are closed on Yom Kippur, as there is a large population of Jewish students and teachers. If Halloween is banned here in public schools, it is for a different reason than offending anybody, like this article about NJ public schools http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/school-district-bans-halloween-costumes-20111020-ncx

They are concerned about it interfering with learning
  8. pipehacker

pipehacker New Member

I find baggy jeans worn below butt crack level and skimpy tops to be far more disruptive to education than a once-a-year costume.
  9. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

I agree, sounds like a job for crackspackle. I don't know how schools can allow those homeboy pants to school.
  10. Cookie

Cookie .

11. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Wha? wha? Wha? a reply to a post in another thread? Got to look for it now.
  12. Cookie

Cookie .

sorry, no, Bob, I can move it and start another thread, I put it there because of the mention of church, church and God... and was reading about Steve Jobs and saw this, and thought, what did he see? that wowed him so. Maybe, God? If so, then, is going to church a bad thing? It just tied in to me, but, like I said, I can move it. That is no problemo. Didn't mean to confuse you, it is a "woman" thing, we all do well, lol. :)
  13. Cookie

Cookie .

Maybe, we should go to church and hold off on trick n treating, LOL...
  14. Cookie

Cookie .