Island sink air gap - part II

Users who are viewing this thread

Boo

Reaction score
Thanks to those of you who responded to my last query re: how can I get away with eliminating an air gap on my island since there will be a dishwasher right next to the sink. I discovered that code in my area requires an air gap, so I guess I'm stuck with the ugly thing sticking out from my lovely granite counter. Sink will be undermounted with only one hole for the faucet and one hole for the soap dispenser.

In my quest to have the least amount of crap sticking up from the island, I found a combo soap dispenser/air gap on the internet and was wondering if anyone has experience with one of these. Unfortunately, the website I had accessed earlier, air-gap.com, doesn't seem to work. Don't know if they're out of business or what!

Any suggestions on alternatives - or do I just have to accept my fate of having an additional protrusion from my otherwise clean counter?

http://www.air-gap.com/

Thanks!

Attachments

• air_gap_thumbnail.gif
    air_gap_thumbnail.gif
    59 KB · Views: 655
Last edited by a moderator:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I did this!

We had done a large,expensive, kitchen remodel. Granite counters. I told the customer,The inspector will require an air gap! She hated the idea! I secured the hose up tight to the underside of the counter. I placed the uninstalled air gap loose on the counter . He looked at it ,smiled and signed off the job.

I have the stones for this,do You?:D:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Air gaps are not required everywhere, so if they are not then you can just follow the instructions that come with the dishwasher, usually they require a high loop on the drain and usually fastened to the bottom of the counter.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Just put it in, get it inspected and remove it.
You could put your hand-soap dispenser back in the hole, or use the combo air-gap/soap dispenser in the link that Terry added in Post 1. BTW, I read recently (Consumer Reports, maybe?) that dishwashing soap works better than most hand soaps for cleaning hands at the sink.

Last edited:

MG

Reaction score
Dishwashing soap works but ones that are designed to cut grease strip the oils right out of your skin. Not a good thing this time of year.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I can't stand dry hands ... Unless I have lotion near by, if I can come clean without soap and just water, that's what I do.

Jason

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I can't stand dry hands ... Unless I have lotion near by, if I can come clean without soap and just water, that's what I do.

Jason

I cant stand wet hands for too long. They get all old and wrinkly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks