Is water spot size affected by flange diameter?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by chrisexv6, Dec 28, 2008.

1. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 New Member

Just a question out of curiosity....I see 3"/4" toilet flanges, where you can put the flange inside a 4" or outside a 3".

Does this affect the size of the water spot in a toilet? (smaller water spot if the 4" piping needs to be refilled instead of 3")

Does it also affect the flushing "power" (will inside a 4" give you more oomph)?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
  2. gardner

gardner DIY Senior Member

my uneducated opinion

No. Water spot, flush power -- all that stuff happens before the water exits the toilet at the bottom.

The effect the flange would have is if the drain were to get plugged up at that point, and then the result would be backup, slow flush -- the usual issues. If the flange opening is wide enough to resist clogs, you're golden.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The water spot is totally ABOVE the weir ( outlet ) of the trap inside the toilet. Nothing about the pipe would affect it. It is totally a design feature of the bowl.

This is just a guess on my part...and some may disagree: I don't think any toilet would "know the difference" between a 3" pipe and a 4" pipe at it's outlet, since the outlet of the toilet is less than 3", it is flushing into a larger pipe in all cases.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Maybe this picture will allow you to understand what determines the depth of the water in the bowl and the subsequent water spot size.

[​IMG]