Is water spot size affected by flange diameter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Just a question out of curiosity....I see 3"/4" toilet flanges, where you can put the flange inside a 4" or outside a 3".

Does this affect the size of the water spot in a toilet? (smaller water spot if the 4" piping needs to be refilled instead of 3")

Does it also affect the flushing "power" (will inside a 4" give you more oomph)?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
my uneducated opinion

No. Water spot, flush power -- all that stuff happens before the water exits the toilet at the bottom.

The effect the flange would have is if the drain were to get plugged up at that point, and then the result would be backup, slow flush -- the usual issues. If the flange opening is wide enough to resist clogs, you're golden.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The water spot is totally ABOVE the weir ( outlet ) of the trap inside the toilet. Nothing about the pipe would affect it. It is totally a design feature of the bowl.

This is just a guess on my part...and some may disagree: I don't think any toilet would "know the difference" between a 3" pipe and a 4" pipe at it's outlet, since the outlet of the toilet is less than 3", it is flushing into a larger pipe in all cases.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe this picture will allow you to understand what determines the depth of the water in the bowl and the subsequent water spot size.

toiletcrosssection.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks