Is this kosher?

Users who are viewing this thread

tilelayher

Reaction score
I am helping a friend who bought a house with the plumbing. I love to plumb when I don't set tile and have gotten pretty good. Is it kosher to install a 4" pvc soil adapter into a cast hub pack it with oakum and then pour a lead joint and pack that? Well I did and its rock solid. Also when running a box to drain a washing machine that has the 2 valves in it, do most put the trap in the stud bay or below the subfloor before the pipe goes through the 2x4 plate.

Also heres a bad drawing I made. The area circled I added. Where do I add the vent? The house is gutted its still not glued where should the vent be? thats a general drawing but its what I did.

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You can not put the trap below the floor and each fixture must be vented. I don't like the idea of pouring lead around a plastic fitting. They make rubber donuts for that.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Add a few more lines and the drawing will look like one of Johnny Carson's maps to the "I Gypem Loan Company". vents are connected to trap connections, but we have absolutely no idea where that would be in your drawing. What is that "vent" on the left side doing? From the drawing it appears to be completely useless.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Throw that drawing away and go read a book on DWV systems....then redraw it..

Marty53

Reaction score
it looks a little bit like a menorah-- so probably kosher

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I certainly hope your tiling skill is better than your plumbing skill. You'd better get a qualified licensed plumber to get this Pig Slop straighten out before you have covered it up. What you have won't meet any code and will almost certainly create so much problem that it will need to be redone. Better to redo it now before serious demo is required. BTW, I'm not Jewish, but I find your use of "kosher" to be offensive.

Gellfex

Reaction score
BTW, I'm not Jewish, but I find your use of "kosher" to be offensive.

Gary, I am Jewish and don't have a problem with it. Just a way of asking "does it comply with the rules?" We invented the all encompassing rule system that has lots of things that are done because that's the way they've always been done, with people arguing and writing books about what the rules actually mean and what are they for and how does new technology fit into the system. Sound familiar?

tilelayher

Reaction score
wow! this site ain't like the Jonbridge forum at all. Sorry if I don't have better software to draw up a picture.

Gary,
you must live under a rock.

My Tiling skills are terrible too!

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 337

tilelayher

Reaction score
Anyways can we all stop acting like prema donnas and just check my bad drawing out?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 322

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
1) washer: After your pipe goes up through the floor you put your tee for your vent going up and your p-trap in the wall.
2) lavy: Same as the washer. Put the tee at the height that you stub out of the wall for the p-trap.
3) toilet: If the toilet is within 6feet of the lavy, you can use the lavy drain for the vent (wet vent). Just make sure you leave the lavy vent 2".

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Every trap must have a vent....You need to show where the vents are in relation to the traps and drain lines and what fittings you are using

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks