is this estimate high?Help!

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jpatz18, May 7, 2007.

1. jpatz18

jpatz18 New Member

My tub leaks when i drain it. It leaks only when draining and when i leaks in leaks in the wall. They gave me an estimate of 475.00 to cut the wall and to fix it. He said i needed a new waste thing... Is that high? 475.00. It was roto rooter. I live in FL
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I think there is probably several hours labor involved. Parts and materials won't be too much, but it is a labor intensive job.
  3. jpatz18

jpatz18 New Member

k thanks....
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It could be as simple as a loose nut, or a new gasket. The hard part is getting to it. But, some of them can be attacked from inside of the tub. Are you sure eveything is tight?

Depending on exactly where you live, a plumber might cost anywhere from maybe $50/hour (really cheap) to over $100/hour. This often counts from the time they leave the office until they get back, not on-site time.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

I wouldn't trust any bid from Roto R. They basicly work on commission so the more they can charge the more they make. I don't like their way of doing buisness.

I would get a minimum of 2 more bids. I came behind a RR quote of $3-400.00, can't remember exactly, to fix a leaking toilet and all it was was a Mansfield with a lose rear tank bolt. They will rip you in a heart beat.

RR and Ben Franklin plumbing are normaly the highest priced plumbers.

This is my NSHO.
  6. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

I agree 100% as it applies to RR in this area of FL.