Is this box too small for this GFCI outlet?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by leejosepho, Dec 15, 2011.

1. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

This is the GFCI outlet I had mentioned in cacher_chick's thread -- my apology for that hijack -- and all is well now that I have pulled it out of the box. The circuit had been fine in the past and was then disconnected for a while, then it tripped the breaker in the main panel after I recently re-connected it. A pinch on the black "load" wire running up to the switch *might* have been the problem here, but no copper is actually exposed or visible at that point. In any case, what is the trick to getting all of this inside that box? I had previously used this same box and outlet at another location without having anything connected to its "load" side, and even then I had trouble getting everything packed away well. The local hardware store has a GFCI outlet with screw terminals for about $15.00, and I can go that route if I must ...

Note: The conduit at the bottom contains the wire running out to a yard light.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

That particular GFI appears to be deeper than any I have installed recently.

Also worth noting that the receptacle must be rated "WR" (weather resistant) if it is going outside, and will need an "in-use" protective cover installed over it.
  3. leejosepho

I thank you. I have a new GFI breaker I can install inside, so I think I will just put a regular receptacle in that box.
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Is that a FS or is it a FD box. You can measure the depth to find out.
    FS = 1 ¾ inch
    FD = 2 3/8 inch

Even if you do change to a regular receptacle it will need to be WP/TR with an in use cover.
  5. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

i just put on 3 of those wr receptacles with tamper resistant features. they are not cheap either :( add that to the in use covers and siding mount blocks and there is a small fortune in plastic, lol
  6. leejosepho

I have just ordered a Leviton W7599-T WR GFCI for a grand total of about $25.00, including shipping. Before now, I did not even know there were special receptacles for patios!