Is there a PVC cement which requires no primer?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by BimmerRacer, Mar 1, 2009.

1. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer New Member

I was looking for a PVC 500 double wye combo as you guys suggested. Local big box stores didnt carry it, so I called up Ferguson, specifically asked for that part number and the guy told me he had one on the shelf. Great, I am thinking! Send a friend over to pick it up since he lives down the street and can get before they close. I just picked it up from him and this is what I got.

[​IMG]

The hub on the top is not glued in, but the 1.5" bends are.
  2. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

A can of primer is only a couple bucks. You could use a fine grit sandpaper and lightly sand the fittings. Primer is the best bet, just use it let air dry (only takes a half minute) then apply your PVC glue fit the fitting and pipe give a quarter turn as you are pushing the fitting in to help seat it and remove any trapped air in the cement.
  3. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Or are you asking because the fittings are glued in place (besides the bushing) but there is no primer visible¿
  4. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer New Member

Yes. I personally have plenty of primer. I just want to know what a place like Ferguson would use ASSUMING they are not completely clueless
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

They make clear primer.
  6. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer New Member

Thanks...just not sure I want to fully rely on this
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

fitting

It is also NOT the correct fitting to go between two sinks and Ferguson should know it, IF you asked for the right fitting. IF you asked for a double combo, they made one up for you. If you asked for a back to back fixture fitting, the counterman gave you the first thing he found since he did not know what you were asking for.
  8. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer New Member

I did specifically asked for it. And the guy even asked if it was 2x2x1.5x1.5 and I specifically said no.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  9. unclepaj

unclepaj New Member

Just use Sharkbite fittings to avoide primer or cement

go to www.sharhbiteplumbing.com and check it out they may have your answer. if its what you were really asking
  10. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer New Member

not at all, but thanks for the suggestion :)