Is my new Toto SS114 toilet seat supposed to be loose and floppy? -with video-

Users who are viewing this thread

stephenk

Reaction score
I bought a Toto SS114 seat for my Drake II and it arrived today. It's made in China and very floppy. The seat's mounting flange is bolted to the bowl securely, but the seat and lid are all floppy and move independently from the mount. The seat easily moves around when in use.

It seems there's lots of play in the hinge, allowing the seat and lid to flop side-to-side, even though the seat assembly is tightly bolted to the toilet.

Is this normal?

Here's a video of my new seat to show how much it moves around.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow, I'm becoming less and less impressed with Toto...

Maybe call them and see what they say, that's def unacceptable.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHat works best is the blind fasteners that probably came with the toilet. The plastic screws and nuts that come with the seat do have slop in them. The blind fasteners are plugs that fit into the hole in the bowl and when you tighten the screw, they expand. These are much more secure. Some of the toilets come with them, not all. You can pick some up at a big box store, though.

stephenk

Reaction score
WHat works best is the blind fasteners that probably came with the toilet. The plastic screws and nuts that come with the seat do have slop in them. The blind fasteners are plugs that fit into the hole in the bowl and when you tighten the screw, they expand. These are much more secure. Some of the toilets come with them, not all. You can pick some up at a big box store, though.

I don't think you understand the problem. The movement is not caused by a loose fit where the seat bolts to the toilet, that's a tight fit. The seat and lid are moving independently of the mounting flange. It seems there's lots of play in the hinge.

The mounting flange is securely held to the toilet, but there's a loose fit in the hinge where the seat and lid connect to the mounting flange. The issue is with the way the seat is made, not how it's installed on the toilet.

Watch the video more closely and I think you'll be able to see the issue. In the second half of the video I show a closeup of the mounting flange, which is securely held to the toilet. The movement isn't coming from the hardware supplied with the seat.

And, this toilet didn't come with special seat mounting hardware.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yep. That's how it works on ours. The thing is firmly mounted but there is play where it connects to the bar. It doesn't bother us at all. Interesting that it's troubling.

Tso1ab

Reaction score
We've got three of them. Initially the wiggle surprised me, but it hasn't been an issue for us. We like the seats.

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I just checked mine and it does the same thing.
It is supposed to give a little so it wont snap off when you sit down.
It's not a defect but designed that way.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't used that Toto seat, but that seems like an awful lot of wiggle room, if its supposed to be like that. A little wiggle should be expected, or the hinge would probably not last long, but that is a lot.

My Kohler (not usually a big fan, but like this seat) moves just a little, but it is solid and stable. You can sit on the lid w/o worry, or at least I can.

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm 180 lbs and when I sit on the seat or lid it doesn't move just from shear weight pushing down.

Alan Young

AlanY
Reaction score
I bought a Toto SS114 seat for my Drake II and it arrived today. It's made in China and very floppy. The seat's mounting flange is bolted to the bowl securely, but the seat and lid are all floppy and move independently from the mount. The seat easily moves around when in use.

It seems there's lots of play in the hinge, allowing the seat and lid to flop side-to-side, even though the seat assembly is tightly bolted to the toilet.

Is this normal?

Here's a video of my new seat to show how much it moves around.

Alan Young

AlanY
Reaction score
StephenK,
Just wondering if you ever received a reply from Toto about your moving toilet seat?
I just bought a Toto toilet and have the same problem.
The toilet seat is secured to the bowl but the seat itself still moves side to side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks