Is it normal for water to smell odd after installing filter and softner

Users who are viewing this thread

john underwood

Reaction score
I put in a brand new Katalox Light filter and water softener today. I did everything I was suppose to do including rinsing the both tanks separately. I even manually regenerated both systems and she still smells it.

Is this normal and will it stop?

Bannerman

Reaction score
It is recommended to add 1 cup of unscented chlorine bleach to the softener brine tank and perform a manual regeneration. That will sanitize the resin and softener internals as they maybe contaminated in the manufacturing/assembly process. I expect that will also assist to reduce resin color transfer to the water and likely will also neutralize any odor from the manufacturing process.

For the Katalox Light filter, if you can inject some chlorine into the filter infeed, that would also disinfect similar to the softener recommendation. Assuming the appropriate DLFC (drain flow restriction button) is installed, Watchwater recommends on initial start-up, back washing K-L continuously for 30 minutes followed by a 15 minute fast rinse.

http://www.watchwater.com/home/downloads/KL_operation_manual.pdf

john underwood

Reaction score
Thank you.
When First turn on a tap if catch the water in a glass it is stained. If I let it sit for a few minutes you can even see the color collect around the edge of the waters surface slightly. Based on the color I am pretty sure it is coming from the softener but I will do both this afternoon.

I am fairly distraught ;) at this point.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is recommended to add 1 cup of unscented chlorine bleach to the softener brine tank and perform a manual regeneration.
A cup is at the high end of such recommendations. 3 Tablespoons is at the other end, as far as I could find.

john underwood

Reaction score
What it really comes down to is injured male ego. I read my butt off, got guidance from you guys, shopped my butt off, planed my butt off, installed my butt off (out with the old, in with the new in less than two hours leak and swearing free) and then the wife says it smells! DOHHH! no longer swearing free project.

I am never afraid of overkill so I will keep it is to no more than a cup.

Bannerman

Reaction score
John, bruised ego thing understood. :eek:

Since the KL filter will be located before the softener, you probably should sanitize and backwash the filter first. That way, there is less potential of recontaminating or transferring color/odor from the filter to the softener.

As the filter will require more water flow for the backwash/rinse procedure, try not to use any water elsewhere while the procedure is occurring. As the softener has a much lower backwash flow rating, using water then will not be as critical although un-softened water will bypass the softener as it cannot provide soft water at the same time as back-washing, regenerating and rinsing the resin.

john underwood

Reaction score
I bypassed the softener last night and the problem stopped so i am sure it is the softener but point taken doing the filter now and will do the softener when it is done.

We had that sulphur smell on both the hot & cold that even I could easily detect. While the system was in bypass on the softener I pulled a glass of cold water, stuck it front of the nose (the wife) and no smell. The water tasted just fine as well, so far I am digging the KL filter.

When i get the softener sorted I think a RO with a remineralizing filter for the kitchen and a preemptive strike my 15 year old water heater before it grieves me as long as I am in plumbing mode.

Last edited:

john underwood

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help the bleach did the trick. The water clear, does not smell and the numbers are great!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks