Is it a bad idea to drain softener into the ground?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mastiff, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff New Member

I'm installing a softener and the install point is outside far away from any convenient drain. The Kinetico guy was going to go up onto the roof and drain into a vent. We live in the desert here and I was really wondering if it would be okay to drain onto the ground. Maybe dig a big hole and fill it with gravel or something like that. We live on an acre of gravel and cactus outside the city limits. Opinions?
  2. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

I doubt that the desert would suffer much from some more salts added to its others.

If you are on a well, which is unlikely, you might not wish to do so.

The city eventually dumps your residue on the earth anyway.
  3. Mastiff

Mastiff New Member

Well, I decided to try it. I dug a big hole and filled it with rocks. We'll see how it goes.
  4. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

Try not to dump it anywhere near your wifes flower bed
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I hope it is a BIG hole, because the backwash phase discharges a lot of water.