Is it a bad Dip Tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sng83

Reaction score
So we rent our trailer and I'm having trouble convincing our maintenance men that there is a problem with the water heater. When we first moved in, 7 months ago, we had all the hot water we needed, we could all 3 take showers one after another or at least a REALLY long one, or fill up the garden tub very hot!

For the last couple months we can barely take one 15 min shower, or fill my daughters bath (and that's not very hot) and that's with no hot water being used all night. We have seperate handles for hot and cold. Will start out about 1/2 way for both and in 5 min have to adjust and by 10 min cold completely off and max hot. They've raised the temp on the water heater to 130. But hasn't seemed to help at all.

I've also found pieces of small white and red plastic in the sink aerators.
I brought up that it could be the Dip Tube to the maintenance guy he had no idea what I was talking about! He looked around at the exterior of the water heater and said "where is that at?" I replied "inside it!"
They are coming back Monday to drain and replace the element (that they tested and was fine!) They just keep saying it's a new water heater so it has to be fine! The home was built in 2013 I'm assuming the water heater is the same.

Sorry that was alot, but very frustrated that no one belives that there is a problem, and I'm SICK of having to end every shower ice cold!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Bad dip tubes were a problem DECADES ago, but I have never heard of it happening on any modern heaters. I would have to test the heater myself to verify if there is a problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Seven months ago, it was probably still quite warm there in GA...how cold is it now in relation? The ground temperature has been cooling off all winter, and your incoming water is colder which makes it harder for the WH since it needs to put more heat into the water. It could be something wrong with the WH, but it could just be the result of winter's colder water. When the cold is 'colder', you use less of it, and more hot to get the same temperature of the tap outlet.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Installed a WH for a relative not long ago. Had to go back and replace the dip tube just a few months thereafter. One of the few I've ever had to replace.

Jim, the incoming water (city) is usually about thirty degrees colder in winter here. Most people don't notice the difference.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a bad bottom element or bottom thermostat can cause that symptom on an electric.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm with Reach4, they are very inexpensive to replace. It could be the upper thermostat, that is not switching on the lower element when the top half reaches temperature. As far as the cold water temp, if this happens on the first shower in the morning it had all night to reach temp so there should be plenty of HW available. I had at one time one heating element measure the proper ohms but the next time (an hour later) it read open. Replacing it for my friend solve the same issue and his home was only a few years old.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be a dip tube, as previously point out, these were a problem several years ago, but no so much now. It's very easy to check and replace if necessary. Dip tubes are flared on the top end and just hang in the water inlet. Just remove the inlet pipe and use your pinky finger to lift the tube. If it's broken, just get a new one, cut to length, and install. If the tube is still intact, you are out very little except a few minutes time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks