Is GE Silicone II a RTV Silicone?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Mike Fresh, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Mike Fresh

Mike Fresh New Member

My Kohler shower pan recommends a RTV silicone for sealing the joint between the concrete board and shower pan.

So, is GE Silicone II for Kitchen and Bath an RTV silicone?

I couldn't find anything at Lowes that said "RTV".

Thanks, Mike
  2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

RTV silicone will definitely tell you it's RTV silicone. And GE Silicone II is not RTV. The ones I've used were red. I'm sure that can vary.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

RTV means room temperature vulcanizing. The product I used back in the Navy days were two part, and yes in fact it was red. GE II is 100% silicone rubber, and it cures at room temperature without the addition of catalysts.

I don't know if it falls in the category of RTV, but I believe it is the product which Kohler is telling you to use.