Iron filter types

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylorjm

Reaction score
So depending which lab test you believe, we have either 1.1ppm or 4.1ppm of iron in our well water. We have a 1 micron sediment filter (4.5x20) that works fine, then a new water softener (60 gpg of hardness, so very hard water), then a 4x20 carbon block for just the drinking water faucets.

The 4.5x20 filter housings are clear, and the sediment one turns orange right away, but the filter doesn't, just the plastic clear housing. The carbon filter after the softener may get just a very slight tinge of orange but not much, so I'm assuming the softener is taking care of the iron, I know it's not the most efficient way and I make sure to use an iron resin cleaner in the brine tank to help out.

It's a vacation home so we do get some iron bacteria in the toilet tank and the bowl if the water sits for a few days without being used. If it's used like someone is there year around, you don't see it.

So why does the iron seem to collect on the clear plastic housing? Is this the ferrous iron and somehow the clear plastic has some oxygen or something to precipitate the iron out and attach to the housing?

I was considering an iron filter and see there are two types. The hydrogen peroxide injection and backwashing carbon filter tank, or what appears to just be a carbon filter tank and somehow does air injection. It seems the hydrogen peroxide model will handle very high iron and the air injection kind is for smaller amounts. So what do you recommend? I'd like to maintain at least 15gpm because our softener is bluetooth and I can see at times we will use 10-12gpm. It's rare but someone must be doing laundry and running two showers or something.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
So depending which lab test you believe, we have either 1.1ppm or 4.1ppm of iron in our well water.
That is quite the difference. What labs?

I am also suspicious of your 10-12gpm number.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
That is quite the difference. What labs?

I am also suspicious of your 10-12gpm number.

The lower number was from the state of Michigan water test and the higher one was from a lab called clean water testing.

I’ve tested the water flow with a bucket from an outside faucet right by the pressure tank and it was 20gpm and everything going through the filters and the softener is 1” and rated f0r 20gpm. So an actual water flow of 10-12 gpm is very realistic.

Reach4

Reaction score
20 gpm through a softener. 20 gpm from the pump to the pressure tank can happen, tho usually that indicates a bigger pump than ideal for a house.

One of the factors in picking iron filters is to make sure the pump can backwash the media. Sounds like that will not be a limitation for you.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
20 gpm through a softener. 20 gpm from the pump to the pressure tank can happen, tho usually that indicates a bigger pump than ideal for a house.

One of the factors in picking iron filters is to make sure the pump can backwash the media. Sounds like that will not be a limitation for you.

It’s only a 1/2hp Franklin submersible pump at 120’ depth. So which kind of filter would work? The air injection sounds like less maintenance but do they work as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks